Friday, April 19, 2013

Grandma's Mirror and another First (for me)!

Many years ago, My parents were going to be taking a trip to Washington state, where I was living at the time. They had finished cleaning my Grandmother's house after she had to go to an assisted living home, and weren't sure what they would do with a bedroom set from Grandma's house. I said I would love to have it.

At first, mom wasn't sure dad would bring it to me, but in the end they did. I remember that day, arriving home from work to the set already being in my apartment and all the drawer's being back in their correct slots. My brother just happened to be there and helped bring it all in.

It has take a beating since then. I have pets, and I used to move frequently. It is a set with 2 dressers, a nightstand, the bed frame, head board, foot board and a mirror. This is a very heavy mirror too. I was always scared it would get knocked over somehow and hurt a pet.

While it can hang on the wall, it also needs to sit on the dresser top. I hardly ever used it, and it spent years of sitting behind the dresser instead. 

After this move to Oregon, upon seeing my bedroom, I knew it could not be used here either. It spent about 6 months in my brother's room getting moved about to keep it out of the way. It also had paint splatters on it from when he painted his room. 

I have been thinking about painting it for a couple of months now, and yesterday I went for it. 

The 'first' for me is using Antiquing wax. I have a small jar of MMSMP's Antiquing Wax, but had not used it really. I also had my complimentary sample of American Paint Company's Chalk Paint, in Turquoise. And their soft wax too. LOVE it! 

I removed the photo that was here to replace it with a nice one. But first, my photo shoot got photo bombed!

That's my girl, Nadia, checking herself out! Had to click fast because she doesn't like her picture taken!
And here is Grandma's mirror all finished up.

After the first coat of paint, as I prepared for the 2nd coat, I poured some into another container and added a trickle of water so it wouldn't be so thick. Once the 2nd coat was dry, I buffed it out, then immediately added the Antiquing Wax. I let this wax sit on one section while I applied it to another, then back tracked to wipe it away, and repeated this process throughout the project. Then I applied another coat of soft wax to soften the dark wax appearance just a little and let it dry for about an hour, before going back to buff it all out again. (The photo below is not buffed yet).

Any distressing as with the photo above, is natural. I chose to leave it that way. I realized later that this particular post only had one coat of paint...oops!) With buffing complete, I cleaned the mirror. The glass is so old it really doesn't clean wellat all. Staging is impossible in my house because every inch is under construction as my brother remodels it all, so I improvised as best I could. Please forgive the quality of photos! 

So proud of the sheen on this piece!

Now I don't know if I did the right process or not. I figured what matters most is that I am pleased with the end results. I have not decided if I am going to keep it, sell it or do the mirror with chalkboard paint. 

Thanks for stopping by! Have a happy, blessed weekend filled with joy!

Linking to:

I finally commited to a decision regarding the possibility of chalkboarding the mirror.