Saturday, August 6, 2016

Plain Jane (Not what you think!)

All of my life, I have been a Plain Jane.

I like simple hair styles ~ mine has been a long shag since high school *blush*

I wear jeans and plain t-shirts. Solid colors, usually Hanes.

A couple of plain ol' blankets was all I ever needed on my bed for warmth.

Then I discovered the world of DIY and my tastes changed. I enjoyed trying to come up with ways to decorate. In my mind, though, I wanted to be like all of the other DIYer's out there that do fabulous art on furniture and home decor.

Since moving, my focus has shifted to getting settled and slowly putting this house together. I inherited everything my Mother treasured through the years. (Remember, my mom has dementia & is in a home, and I now live in a new house with my dad)

Some of the things I inherited are things like Strawberry plates hanging on a kitchen wall now, to honor mom. and for other decor I have a small shopping cart she has  faux flowers in. Mother's simple treasures, of which I kept a good deal of when moving dad.


Another thing I inherited is this very pretty bedspread. As I put my bedroom together, I knew it would be on my bed. The bed itself is one I bought a couple of years ago and painted. I love having the cubbies in the headboard! And I love the roses on the footboard too!

A close up of the decoupaged napkins on my footboard:

In trying to make my room more functional, it came to my attention the other day as I connected my Home Theater System to my bedroom TV, that I needed someplace to keep all of the remotes (stereo, AC and TV)

I had this little cubbie box, and decided it would be perfect for the remotes. I painted it the same color as the trim on the bed, added brown glaze, because I Love the look, like on this sign I made awhile back, and then decided to do something else to pretty it up.


I had some kitchen curtains that won't work in this house, and used them and a bit of fabric mod podge to adhere it to the box. Just a little prettier than it was yesterday :)

Enough of my room for now...

A couple of days ago, I fixed up some home made curtains for the window in the back door... they are  not perfect, and a sharp eye will see my mistake, but I still believe simple can be better ;) 

Thanks for visiting! 
Until next time!