Saturday, August 20, 2016

New bedroom/craft room reveal!

Many of you saw on Facebook when I promoted a piece I was starting to work on last week. I am here to share the final piece and how it tied my (mostly) painted bedroom/craft room together!





She started out pretty beat up and looking tired and heavy.



With a piece like this, I always use General Finishes High Performance Top Coat as soon as the piece is sanded and cleaned. I do this to prevent any bleed through and with this piece, I fully expected bleed through due to the finish on it. Let me tell you, it was well worth the extra step!

I removed the hardware and got to work. Choosing a color or color combo is the hardest thing for me. I felt like this piece was screaming for a manly type of makeover in grays and blacks, silver, etc, however my space was screaming for something light and uplifting. Something that might keep me inspired to craft up more fun items.



My bed frame is painted in a very light gray and turquoise. Here is the final of the frame. One the doors for the headboard, I replaced the hardware with these porcelain knobs with roses. I also decoupaged a couple of butterflies, and used my Silhouette to cut the words 'Butterfly Kisses. On the foot board, I decoupaged napkins with pink roses and red flowers. ( Note: I do not know what a lot of flowers are-not much of a gardener).



Last year I had made a couple of similar projects, like this sign, using napkins decoupaged Magnolia's and butterflies. I had also made a little shelf out of a drawer from a camper with these red flowers decoupaged on the sides.



When I moved into the house with my dad, I inherited a bedspread my mom had always kept on the bed in the guest room, which is so pretty with pink puffs, like flowers.

Now you all need to know that I have never been a fan of the color pink, but having this bedspread on my bed, along with pink and red flowers all over my room changed that. I picked up three picture frames and made these pictures to hang over my bed.



So...back to the reveal...

Finally, I made a decision about colors for this piece. It was supposed to be a light gray, but when I brought the paint home, it looked  more white than anything so I went with it. Of course with turquoise being the prominent color so far, and pink growing on me, turquoise had to be a part of this piece, although not overbearing. I am also a big fan of distressing and giving a piece a worn look like I did below.



I picked up another pair of the rose knobs for this piece, and the final stage was decoupaging a combination of pink roses, blue butterflies and a few magnolia's to tie it  in with the rest of my creations and making this my very own, personal set.


Are you ready for it?

Here is the piece all finished up!



Personally, I wish I had not applied the large butterflies to the doors of this piece, because I think it makes everything look like 'too much'! So, I removed them. Luckily, they were freshly app;lied using the mod podge technique, so I used a sponge and warm water and just washed them off!


Thanks for visiting GiveMeAPaintbrush! 

Until next time!