Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Bee Bench

Yes, you read that right! The Bee Bench ...

First let me say that I did receive product in exchange for a blog post, and more importantly, this post is long overdue. Many many thanks to Sara for her patience and understanding! It took much longer than I ever anticipated to complete this bench to my satisfaction! I struggled with the bench, had a mishap or two and work seriously got in the way.

I also want to say that this is the first time I ever worked with such a vibrant color! I am more of a pastel, soft color,  kinda gal so this was a challenge for me!

Sooo...here we goooo!

I picked this bench up last summer at a yard sale for $10. It needed a new seat, and I knew right away that I would use pallet boards for it. I painted it a deep pink color at first, that I mixed from an assortment of other paints I had on hand, but wasn't thrilled with it. Then I started out with a darker than burgundy color but Bleck!

When I received the products from General Finishes, I set out right away to give this bench a proper makeover...but again, I went wrong...by using a spray can of primer. Evidently it was not a quality product, and I soon discovered how difficult it can be to paint a bright, light color over a cheap white primer. I proceeded to apply 3 coats of this beautiful Sunglow from General Finishes until it really showed it's color properly.



I decided the spindles are not my forte along the way after painting them pink, deep red and ....well you get the idea. Sunglow did not look very pretty on the spindles so I went with black, which is General Finishes Lamp Black. The seat is also Lamp Black. Once I got everything to look better, I finally managed to stencil on a few bees.

Now when discussing this bench prior to receiving any product, I expressed how my vision for the bench was in a garden setting. During my frustrating trials and tribulations with this project, I was talking to a friend who suggested making it the colors of a bee. So the Bee Bench was born. I am thrilled to introduce...The Bee Bench!



I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the stencils. They were the easiest part of the project, by far! Even getting my big yellow bee on the seat to show up well over black was simple, especially compared to over white primer...lesson learned...use a good primer! 






Now I am in the process of applying General Finishes Exterior Satin Top Coat and this bench will sit out among my garden as I get it planted and looking good! I can imagine it being the focal point of my garden, and a conversation piece too! 


In the process I decided that bar underneath the Bee Bench would likely get dirty from mowing and from mud when it rains, so black seemed like a good choice for this part too. 

I can't wait to get some flowers planted and sit on my Bee Bench this summer! 

I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on how you might have done this bench and what you think of The Bee Bench! 

Again, many thanks to Sara and General Finishes for the opportunity to work with you and for your patience and understanding!