Monday, February 9, 2015

Old wooden box love

Happy Valentine's Day, my friends! I hope that you all have a splendid celebration filled with fun and lots of romantic adventures!

Personally, I am skipping right to spring, because I am sure we could all use a dose of warmer weather and brighter days!

This old wooden box was raw and rough when I acquired it a couple weeks ago. At that time I had no idea what I would use it for or how I would decorate it. But the wheels started turning when I was reading up on the February Silhouette Challenge! An idea was born and I went right to work. So, as is normal for me, I did not take a before photo of the box. I only have the pics that were provided to me of the inside.



First things first, I gave it a good sanding, but due to its obvious tough work before coming to me, it was pretty beat up, and that's okay! I like things that show their previous stories! I gave it a coat of base paint, in a very light grey that looks white in photos.

Next I mixed up some Miss Mustard Seed's Luckett's Green and brushed it on to look like a watercolor.

My next step was to pick a few designs from the Silhouette store and print them out , followed by cutting them out on my Portrait. I so love all the things this compact machine can do!


 Print and cut is a feature that I have Finally mastered...well maybe mastered is a strong word here, but let's say gotten the hang of, after making some adjustments to my Silhouette Portrait. I practiced a lot once I got my machine fine tuned!



I print and cut my designs for the Old Wooden Box then sprayed them lightly with a clear coat of acrylic sealer to prevent the ink from running, and using a spray adhesive, I glued them onto my box. The lid of the box is still the grey color, with a tractor and some seed packets that I also print and cut.



On the front of the box, I painted with stencils, and attached my heart in the same manner as above.


Once I was to this point, I decided this box needed some depth. I waxed it with Miss Mustard Seed's Antiquing Wax (removed all of my print and cut pretties first) and after the wax, I topped it off with General Finishes Exterior Satin Top Coat. Then I re-applied the pretties to my box. The final step to complete this project was to repair the handles- the wooden handles were attached with a rough rugged and worn rope, which I replaced with para cord. 

Can you tell that I am thinking of spring?! Our weather has been warmer than usual with the sun shining brightly, making me want to get ready to plant flowers all about my yard!

Quite some time ago, I picked up this cute little wagon or wheelbarrow from the same lady I got the box from, and because I am so ready for spring, I decided to pair it with my wooden box. The wheel doesn't come off, so I had to improvise to get the wheel decorated. For adding the vinyl to the wheel, I cut the design in half and applied it one half at a time. I used glossy Oracle 651 so it can be used outside to decorate my yard.


The sides of my wagon is too cute for words! 


For the handles and legs I used Washi Tape with flowers. 



I plan on using my Old Wooden Box for gardening tools and supplies so they are easily found when needed, and my little wheelbarrow will look totally cute with a flower pot in it on my porch. 







Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!

Print and Cut Rebus ValentineTigger Printable Heat Transfer T-ShirtLove You ValentineĆ¢€™s Jar {tutorial} + Print & Cut Blog HopValentine BINGO with {FREE} Printable and Cut FileDIY Conversation Hearts Temporary Tattoos{Heart} Dance!Custom Birthday Party Invitations using Silhouette's Print and CutMilk & Cookies Valentine's TreatPrint & Cut Valentine's Day BannerOld wooden box LovePrint and Cut Fabric LabelsBe Mine BannerLove is all you need - Print & CutValentine Journal CardsFree Printable: Snickers Valentine TagLabor & Delivery Nurse Thank You BagsValentine Robot Shirt with Print and Cut Heat Transfer VinylPrint and Cut Fish Valentines3D Print and Cut Magnets (And Tons More Silhouette Print and Cut Ideas)Baby Month Stickers with a FREE cut fileSuper Easy Print and Cut Journal Card ValentinesSimple Silhouette Valentine CardValentine Hugs and Kisses Canning Jar CraftFrozen Inspired TattoosBe My Valentine Mini AlbumPrint and Cut Valentine Pudding Cup Wrappers - February Silhouette ChallengePrint & Cut Birthday Invitations
1. Clever Someday // 2. TitiCrafty // 3. GingerSnapCrafts.com // 4. My Paper Craze // 5. Simply Kelly Designs // 6. Little Blue's Room // 7. Mama Sonshine // 8. Small Stuff Counts // 9. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 10. GiveMeAPaintbrush // 11. Please Excuse My Craftermath... // 12. Barb's Life // 13. GetSilvered // 14. Lil' Mrs. Tori // 15. Minted Strawberry // 16. unOriginal Mom // 17. Where The Smiles Have Been // 18. Persia Lou // 19. Silhouette School // 20. From Whine to Whine // 21. DailyDwelling // 22. Creative Ramblings // 23. Paper Garden Projects // 24. It Happens in a Blink // 25. Perfectly Fabulous // 26. Adventures in All Things Food // 27. Create & Babble