Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Silhouette and I

I won my Silhouette Portrait in June of 2013 and have had a little fun with it in the last year and a half. However, I had not tackled a lot of it's abilities. There are so many things we can do with a Silhouette.

Last winter, I had tried the cut and print feature and it was way off. I contacted Customer Service and we missed a lot of calls back and forth. There was a lot going on in my life at the time so many of their call backs came when I was away from my machine. It was too ugly to even save a picture of that mess!

So the other day I decided to work on the Print and Cut feature again. I tried to do it on my own and called after another major failure. Then Silhouette Customer Service and I exchanged several emails to get things working properly again.

I was told to calibrate my machine. It didn't work. Then was told to delete a file, and reset to factory defaults. That is what worked for me! I was soooo excited to do print and cuts!



Next up was to try my hand at HTV again. I had some black glitter HTV and had tried working with it before, but messed up nearly a complete roll. Yesterday I broke out what was left from that roll, and went to work. Funny thing is, I had attempted to make a cut on that portion but thought the cut failed because I could not see a thing-could not see the cut lines. So when I did  a new cut on it, this made weeding a bit more tedious. So imagine my utter surprise to end up with this!


Since my HTV project turned out, I was more inspired that ever. I had just purchased a small bottle of Amour Etching cream, so I set out to do an Etching project. 

For this I used an old salsa jar, and a design from the Silhouette store. I cut the design out from a scrap of vinyl, placed it on the jar and applied the etching cream. After letting it sit for about 5 minutes, I removed the excess etching cream and then the vinyl. I washed the jar off under warm water and dried it with a clean kitchen towel. 

After making sure the jar was dry, I started decorating the neck of the jar, using a bit or burlap and some bakers twine. I used my hot glue gun to attach the burlap in a couple of places to keep it secure. Then I used red construction paper to assist in getting halfway decent pictures of the project. 



I have to say that I am thrilled to finally be getting into the swing of things and crafting again! 

These projects are not only fun but functional too! This jar will be used for a Valentines gift for my mom, with sweetheart candies in it! I have plans to make more since I have been saving lots of jars just for this kind of project. 

So all in all, I get to fall in love with my Silhouette all over again, and this time to perfect a few things a long the way! Best of all, my world is about to become prettier than ever! 

Do you own a Silhouette or other cutting machine? What is your favorite kind of projects to create? I am on the lookout for more fun creative goodness to try my hand at so please, do share!