Monday, April 28, 2014

A troubled project

On the eve of March 16th I decided to do a quick, easy project. Or so I thought it would be easy.

I wanted to have this done for St. Patrick's Day, but just managed to finish it tonight.

There were several things that went wrong with project. I was using my Silhouette Portrait, and when cutting the definition, there was a sticky substance from a previous project on the tip surrounding the blade, and in turn it pulled up all the letters as they were cut. I easily fixed that by cleaning the tip with alcohol.

Well, I ruined all of my black vinyl that night, so this project had to sit until I had more black vinyl.

Tonight was my night, more than a month later to finally finish my easy project. I loaded my vinyl on my mat, loaded it into my Silhouette, and using the new software update for the first time, I sent it to cut.

But the text was too delicate and the letters were peeling up with the rest of the vinyl. I couldn't sort them out well enough to save them. New sheet of vinyl, new font and cut again. This time it was great!

The definition was perfect, and it applied straight as I can get anything.

However, I then had to face the fact that the 'lep-re-chaun' and [lep-ruh-kawn, kon] was crooked. So I had 1 sheet of black vinyl left and decided to remove the crooked text and redo it.

This time, using the exact same settings and blade depth as I had just used for the definition, the machine cut through the backing. 

Now mind you, I was on my last sheet of black again, so what was I to do?

I peeled each individual letter and placed it on a different blank backing sheet. One by one. Letter by letter. 

Look close....
     Can you see it?

       Yep...that's right! Crooked as can be despite being a new cut.

I think the little guy was messin' with me as I placed each of those letters one by one! I swear it was straighter than that before I picked it up to apply to this project! Mischievous is right! LOL

Thanks for looking! 

Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Simple Captain's Chair & a review

This post is about my simple Captain's Chair coupled with a review of General Finishes Paints and Finishes.

I have had the captain's chairs for about a year now, but with all of the moves I have made, I honestly did not have time to feel inspired. Once I got into my own place, I knew things would settle down and my creative juices would start to flow again, and that's just what happened!

I was contacted on FaceBook by General finishes, and the result was that I received some sample paints to try, and their Top Coat as well. They sent me Persian Blue and Lamp Black. So a plan was born for the chairs.

Living in a laid back town where folks do a lot of visiting here and there, the saying seemed appropriate. I wanted to keep the paint job simple because these folks also do not take well to painted furniture. With that said, I do intend to do some distressing to match where my vinyl pulled up the paint and topcoat in one place.

First I primed the chair so I could save time with all the sanding and prepping. I am just too busy now to do all of that work, with a new full time job, and keeping watch over my parents and brother, plus having my own house and pets that all need attention. That could mean I am too lazy if it was translated, but I am truly busy lately.

After the primer, I did two coats of paint, just to make sure no primer would show through. General Finishes Paints are a Breeze to work with! I love how little it takes to apply a coat to this chair. After two coats, I barely used any paint at all! I followed up with a coat of General Finishes Top Coat and let this piece sit for a week.

Next, I finally had a chance to break out my Silhouette Portrait and cut out the reverse stencil I would use to apply the wording on the back of the chair. Black makes a great contrast against the Persian Blue, and Lamp Black fit the bill completely. I applied my reverse stencil and painted on the words. Then I used my hair dryer to dry the paint so I could remove the vinyl. You can see in the photo below that I have not removed the center of the letters yet. That is because the paint is still much to tender to disturb.

This piece is plain Jane simple in hopes that someone here in town might take a fancy to it. If not, there is plenty of room in my house for it to be and provide a guest an extra seat here.

So here is Plain Jane.

After the two coats of paint, I applied the Top Coat. This is Super easy!! A light coat is all it takes. Any more than that you risk having it drip. The instructions said to use a sponge brush or something similar, brush it on and move on, not to over brush. I followed the instructions. After about a week of curing, I added my reverse stencils for the wording and once that Lamp Black paint was dry, I applied another coat of Top Coat. By this time I had finished with the distressing on the arms and back of the chair so added Top Coat to any areas I had just distressed. 

I like that we can paint on top of the top coat. I saw no difference in painting before or on top of it. I think and hope that once my dad sees this one, he just might like it. He always wants my brother to sit a spell so that's where the saying came from. 

Oh and I apologize for the backdrop in my pictures. That was pure laziness on my part. ;)