Monday, November 11, 2013

Glass Painting w/reverse stencils

Every month, Lauren Lanker from The Thinking Closet, hosts a Silhouette Challenge. Those who wish to participate create a new project with their Silhouette and we all post at the same time to share with the world. This project is for the Novemeber Silhouette Challenge.

Let me first say that this was going to be Glass Etching. At the last minute, I dashed to my local Michael's store, and low and behold, their kits were about $30, and they were out of stock of the Etching Cream by itself. That was really all I needed...Etching Cream.

So as I spoke with a gal who works there, she was telling me about the Paint for glass. So, I bought a bottle of Martha Stewart's Glass Paint in Frost Translucent.



I had recently found this cover for plates and decorations...and of course, I have no idea what you all call it, but this is what I wanted to 'Etch'. Well, Paint. I guess the paint is better suited to me anyway given my blog name...LOL

I made my reverse stencil with my Silhouette Portrait, and applied it to the glass, dipped my brush into the paint and applied evenly. After allowing it to dry I did a 2nd coat, just because. The paint dries quickly, and this portion of this project (the fun part) only took about 10 minutes.
 I can't say the same about making the reverse stencil....I have gotten rusty since I moved....Oh wait! I am still new to this Silhouette AND to decorating and crafting! (For real!)


Now the Real challenge for me was taking the photos to show you the final work. I mean, this is round, so it rolls if I try to take a pic of it on its side; and in my mobile, I have a lot of windows so avoiding the refection from the windows is impossible!! I wanted my cover to be shown on a Christmas plate I have had forever, because it fits perfectly. I even considered covering my windows to block out the light so this painted glass would show better; laid it on the rug against a shelf for support; took it outside (way too bright to show my work out there!) ...you name it. Getting this to show well was not easy..I "believe" that I failed in the photo department.


Back to the project...
When I peeled my reverse stencil off, I thought this looked quite a bit like Etched Glass. The difference is the paint sits on top of the glass while the etching cream eats into the glass. Both are dishwasher safe. And I must say, this frosted translucent paint is going to last me forever! I mean, it is 2oz, was affordable, and I used a very little bit on my brush to get this look. One thing I should mention is that this paint is Permanent! And when trying to weed your design, it is tough! If you look real close you can see my L is scratched. I used the hook to peel the centers of the letters off and scratched the paint in the process. See below how I could not get a good shot! I needed a solid colored plate to take this photo shoot on!



This paint can also be used to outline lettering or designs and I am sure there are many other uses for it, plus it comes in other colors. I should have thought ahead and gotten the green!

I recently wrote a post about making a chalkboard using pallet boards and have now decorated that chalkboard with a few Silhouette cuts as well. I used some faux fall leaves from the dollar store, alone with sme real hazelnuts I collected at a friends house, combined with my plate cover backed in gold (scrap vinyl) to help the word become more visible, and a burlap bag. Pulled it all together for ....

This! 





So there you have it! My 'Etched Glass' look, with Paint!

I want to thank you for stopping by to see my project. It means the world to me to have you here! But now, it is time to visit the rest of the Challenge participants to see their beautiful work. There is No doubt in my mind that these ladies will completely Blow Your Mind with their creativeness and stunning projects! You can visit them easily by following the links below!

Happy Travels!

DIY Ironing Board Hanger by The Turquoise Home
Silhouette Challenge: Time Zone Bathroom Art by Nearly Handmade
Santa's Christmas Countdown by Tried & True
Nautical Anchor Pillow Tutorial by The Thinking Closet
Christmas Card Ornament with Free Cut File by unOriginalMom
Thanksgiving and Christmas Dual Sign by Architecture of a Mom
Itching to Etch by Get Silvered
Snowman Tag ~ Silhouette Challenge by Whats Next Ma
Thanksgiving Sign by Chicken Scratch NY
DIY Horse Silhouette Pillow by Rain on a Tin Roof
Sketching on Fabric by The Sensory Emporium
Paper Leaf Garland by Lil' Mrs. Tori
DIY Blessing Board - Silhouette Challenge by One Tough Mother
Christmas Pillow by Create & Babble
Glass Painting with Reverse Stencils by Givemeapaintbrush
Chalkboard Thankful Tree by Cutesy Crafts
Bottoms Up! MYO Wine Tag by From Wine to Whine
'Happy Holly-days' Tags for the Swap by An Elegant Touch...
Thank You for Dinner (Card) by Everyday Paper
Advent Star Christmas Countdown by My Favorite Finds
Geometric Fabric Bowls by Please Excuse My Craftermath...
Paper Carnival by Home At Eight
Silhouette Cameo Tutorial: Dual Sided Business Cards by Black and White Obsession
In Case of Emergency Baby Bag Tags by Tossed Salad Life
Christmas On My Mind by Creative Turn
Jingle all the Way! by My Paper Craze
Christmas Lights Garland by Making Home Base
We Are Thankful by 4 You With Love
Seattle Skyline Silhouette by Sowdering About in Seattle
DIY Stenciled Mugs by Coley's Corner