Wednesday, April 17, 2013

3 months ago I was....

Just sitting here. Surfing Pinterest a Lot. Bored and cold. Wishing the snow would go away.

Then I started seeing a trend. Beautiful painted furniture that made me drool. I thought, "Hey, I can do that!" So I found some bloggers, quite by accident as I began a new blog here on Blogger. For the life of me, I could not come up with a catchy name.

My oldest Grand daughter, Kayla has called me Granny for ages. So I incorporated 'Granny' into a temporary name. All I could think of was  DIY Granny. And years ago, I had started up my PayPal 'business' with the name of Granny's Goodies. But that was all a lot lame and misleading. I mean, I can't cook and I don't bake...not unless it comes out of a box or a can....LOL


As I started following a whole bunch of bloggers, I started playing around with paint. And wood. And stencils. And twine, and a lot of stuff. I have been working hard to prove that yes, I too can do this.
And here is my first real project...a little telephone table, done in a color I made up with latex paint and a little $4 Paint Pod I found at my Local Ace Hardware.

You can find the rest of my little table here

So today, I found myself teaching my dad the art of making over a piece of furniture with paint. It is my biggest piece to date and is not quite ready to post yet. I just thought it was kind of cool to be able to show my dad something. You should have seen his face when I was about to mix the non sanded tile grout into my paint to make home made chalk paint! 


He is 78 years old and is old school, so the way we criss cross the brush strokes was almost appalling to him. Before I was done for the day, he was taking the doors apart for me....taking hinges off, taking windows out of the doors, and carefully storing them all away. He asked lots of Questions too. Like how much does the paint and wax cost, and how much can I sell the hutch for, and all the good stuff. It was nice to have my dad interested! Maybe he is finally starting to realize that girls can do something besides cook and clean and sew! Haha! 

So back 3 months ago I might have been bored and wishing the snow away, but these days, I am starting to feel just a tad bit like I just might succeed! I owe it all to all of you out there who stop by my blog and FB Page! So thank you ALL!