Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Butcher Block

I recently messed up at the auction, went late, didn't preview anything, and yet my hand shot up like a rocket when this butcher block came up and the price was right. 

Don't ask me why.

Okay, it was because my brother had just talked that day about building something similar to put in the spot where the dishwasher would go, and we don't have one. The price was right and I knew I could paint it and fix it up. 

Got it home and cringed as I really checked it out. 
It is made out of plaster board and was covered with contact paper.  Ughh!

So in making the best out of a bad situation, I took the contact paper off, and primed it.

Then we talked over the color. I thought about selling it, but he said he wouldn't mind having it, and to be honest, we can't afford to build anything for the price I got this for. 

I replaced the little end caps that hide the screws that hold it together, and the casters will be on tomorrow morning.  I changed the little ring to a copper knob to open the door, but kept the hinge and little chains that hold it open. The front of that little drop down door needs one more coat of paint. I just didn't have time to get the casters on and do that last coat of paint, in part because my parents had to come visit this evening. 


Sometime soon, I think I want to get a 2x6 and make a real butcher block top for this. Until then, it is what it is. 

No distressing. Looks white in the photo. It is actually more of a cream color. 
Plain Jane!