Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What I have learned...Day 1

Painting my first piece last night was okay. This morning I learned a few things:
(note: Please leave your thoughts to what I am about to say. I could be totally wrong since I am a newb!)

Use more paint on my brush.! I am covering large areas so need to really lather the paint on to get the coverage I need. Otherwise I will have to do two coats which I would prefer to not need to do. I know these pics will probably be hard to tell the difference, but up close, they really show a difference in how much paint I had on my brush. Brush strokes should go the same direction working with the grain of the wood if you want good coverage too.
Thicker coat

^Thinner coat^



Towels from Goodwill or other thrift stores are a MUST! I tend to wear paint as I go. That's part of the fun of it, right? LOL

Heed the advise of others! Work in sections and do not expect to paint the piece in one sitting.

Allow more drying time! Especially for the thick coats I am finding I need to apply. I did a few more sections of this piece this morning and will probably not touch it the rest of the day so it has adequate time to completely dry. Her is another view of the unit.


Get fresh air! Enjoy the other beauties life has to offer and don't obsess about painting furniture and blogging. I am sure my dogs will appreciate this insight! I think they miss my undivided attention!